Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How many items can I check out and for how long?
- Students: Maximum of ten items; five books per subject for two weeks
- Faculty/Staff: Ten items for eight weeks
- Community Patrons: Five items for two weeks
- Popular DVDs: Maximum of three items for one week; no renewals
Who may borrow materials?
- Vol State students: must be currently enrolled and have your student ID card
- Vol State faculty and staff: employee ID card serves as library card
- Community patrons: driver's license or state-issued ID required on your first visit
Can I renew items?
- Circulating collection books: two renewals.
- Popular DVDs: no renewals.
- Reserve items: no renewals.
What is the fine for an overdue item?
- Reserve items: $1.00 per day; maximum fine $5.00.
- Interlibrary loan items: variable; fines are assessed by lending library.
No fines are assessed for items in Thigpen Library's circulating print & DVD collections (includes Browsing books); however, replacement costs + processing fee will be charged if items are lost or significantly damaged.
Where are books and other materials located?
Circulating print collections are available at the Gallatin campus library only. A limited number of items are on course reserve and reference ("library use only") at the site libraries in Livingston, Cookeville, Springfield.
Materials from the Gallatin campus may be requested for delivery to the sites and to distance learners.
Use the links below to request an item through interlibrary loan or have materials sent to off-site campuses.
Interlibrary Loan Services
Thigpen Library provides access to resources that are not available from its existing collections by obtaining them from other libraries. This is a FREE service!
Materials Request Form
Students at Vol State off-site campuses may use this form to send books from the main library to Highland Crest, Cookeville or Livingston.
Thigpen Library - Gallatin
- Popular books & DVDs
- Graphing calculators, GoPro cameras, and other technologies on loan are located behind the circulation ("ASK") desk.
- Textbooks on course reserve are located behind the circulation ("ASK") desk.
- Laptops (assigned to TRIO students; faculty/staff laptops; 2-hour library use laptops)
- Circulating collection of books
- Print periodicals
Reference books are located on both floors. The second floor reference works are shelved in the circulating collections with locations as appropriate to their subject matter.
These guides have additional information on library services that may be of interest.